Smith & Williamson
Managing an investment portfolio is a complex challenge, requiring continuous monitoring and research. Our Managed Portfolio Service (MPS) is designed to address these issues and to provide high-quality investment management for your clients’ portfolios. Investors are given a choice of six models, risk-rated by Distribution Technology (DT), Synaptic and Defaqto Engage. The models are actively managed and built using a range of investment tools including open-ended funds, investment companies and exchange traded funds (ETFs). This structure offers diversification by asset class and product type, giving our investment managers additional flexibility to respond to changing market conditions. Our ‘OE’ (Open-Ended) range consists of four models, investing in open-ended investment funds only. Our MPS is administered by external platform providers and structured to preserve the client /adviser relationship. These core strategies are managed to align the portfolios with models 3-8 of DT’s ten levels. The annual management charge for the MPS is 0.3% + VAT. Rigorous asset allocation constraints are employed to ensure consistent levels of exposure to the underlying asset classes, but within this, the managers look to take an active approach. The models have no set rebalancing dates; instead they are amended when required, to reflect the team’s views on market and investment opportunities. The portfolios are continually monitored to ensure the levels of volatility remain consistent with each strategy’s risk profile.
Benefits of the service
• Active portfolio management, ensuring diversification and risk management.
• A dedicated MPS investment team, supported by over 50 investment professionals, giving you access to our broad intellectual capital.
• Ongoing monitoring of our model portfolios by DT, Synaptic and Defaqto Engage ensuring our models stay within the permitted risk parameters.
• No set rebalancing dates, enabling our MPS managers to amend asset weightings as and when their views on markets and investment strategy change.
• Our MPS has been awarded a 5-star Defaqto rating in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018 and 2019.